Thursday, January 19, 2017

Why Do Lions Roar?

As I am preparing for our upcoming Kenya mission trip, I am reminded of the last time we went there and the lions we saw.

"The Lord will roar from on high; he will thunder from his holy dwelling" - Jeremiah 25:30

Why do lions roar? Ever thought of that? Lions do not roar when they are on the hunt because they will scare the prey. They often do so to let others know that they own the territory. It also tends to happen at night or right at dawn. The roar is loud and terrifying to other animals. So if the particular lion is your adversary, hearing the roar is not a good sign. But it is a sweet sound to the cubs belonging to it and other lions in the same pride.

Often, lions roar to communicate with other lions, to tell others where they are and to rally straying lions. These lions may have been away because they were hunting or simply roaming around. They can recognize the roar because each roar is unique.

For the leader of the pride, when he roars, it is as if he is saying, "I am still with you. Here I am. Follow my roar. Gather to me. With me, there is safety. With me there is peace. Whatever you are doing, it is time to return."

The Lord is roaring from on high. Do you hear his roar?

No comments:

Post a Comment