Saturday, June 13, 2009

Art of Doing Nothing

Being the first saturday in 5 weeks that I've stayed at home, I feel extremely relaxed. I watched anime, TV shows, Taiwanese dramas, game videos, and just random Youtube videos of course. I played guitar until my fingers hurt and meditated on how to change the world. The feeling of having nothing to do has been praised by many wise sages of times past, but to actually experience this phenomenon is worthy of... at least a blog post.

The art of doing nothing is actually quite pitiful, not to mention paradoxical. But once we factor in a long continuous stream of busyness, a neverending torrent of errands and responsiblities, this art becomes irrefutably important. I, like any other guy in his primes, enjoy going out with friends to exotic cities or mountains filled with hiking trails and mosquito-infested lakes. But at some point in one's life, one must take a break from even enjoying life.

Be sure not to slumber into lazyness as many are prone to do, what I suggest is simply a little repose amidst the crazyness that is life. Today I refuse to do anything constructive. Today I will not use my time wisely though perhaps that is the wisest thing I can do. I will lie on my bed with my notebook computer in my lap. What I am doing is simply what any sane person would do, rest. And next saturday, I shall bid my newfound pleasure a wistful, albeit necessary, farewell.

3 comments:

  1. By the way, "meditation" in the context of New Age mysticism is 冥想, whilst "meditation" on God's Word is 默想.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, you need to be more consistently correcting my errors. I need it. But this made me think...
    Why is it that we always insist on using special terms for God related subjects? God is all-inclusive, not snobbishly exclusive.
    我有時覺得用這些專有名詞反而成為"外邦人"的絆腳石...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why "we" insist on using these words :P I guessing it has something to do with

    a) The historical translation of the Chinese Bible -- the church/Chinese Christians simply use the phrases as written in the Bible, not the phrases used in common speech as updated with time. (The speech patterns are circa 1914, when the 白話文運動 had not yet begun.)

    b) "冥" is used in phrases such as "冥王", "冥界", which has implications of being in the darkness or the underworld/Hades; I'm guessing that to "meditate" is to "think about", to "carefully consider" something; and if that something is God's Word, it shouldn't have connotations with mysticism.

    As mentioned, my guesses only. :P

    ReplyDelete